I certainly don't have it all figured out nor will I ever but, this I do know...I have an indescibable hope and joy in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Sometimes I feel like it's all bottled up inside, so this is one way that I can pop the cork and share my faith with you.





Monday, December 5, 2011

How can sin hold us captive

Sin is something we all deal with...yes all of us.  
The good news about that is that those who believe in God's truth
 know that even though we sin, we are forgiven

All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,and are justified freely by His grace 
through the redemption that came by christ Jesus. Romans 3:23-25
Jesus took all our sin on himself as a sacrifice of atonement.
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and 
purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

So.... how can sin hold us captive?  
Here's my personal thought on that.
"It holds us captive to the things we want nothing to do with.
 It causes disharmony, guilt, and brings feeling of failure".
 We become enslaved to it, yuk!

So here's what the Bible says in Romans chapter 8
If we live by our sinful nature ( that which we are born with) then our minds are set on what nature desires.  But if we focus on Christ and live by the spirit, then our minds are set on what the spirit desires.
Here's the part that caught my attention recently, Verse 6: The mind of sinful man is DEATH, but the mind controlled by the spirit is life and peace.... oh how I love  that !
 If we are controlled by the sinful nature, we can not please God, it's as simple as that. 

I'm in love with Gods promises,
 I depend on them and I believe these promises to be truth, and fuel  for living in this world.
Sin Nature is of this world.... we deal with "stuff" everyday and as a follower of Christ, it can be a struggle. Thankfully Jesus gave us the Holy Spirit, we weren't abandoned and left floundering, He is with us and in us. ( you just have to invite him in)

Today and always I will strive to  set my mind on what the spirit desires, and LIVE... a life of peace.  

6 comments:

Brianna said...

:) Like. I love His promises too, they are exactly like 'fuel' for living this life, this has been more and more amazing to me the older I get. Thank goodness for all these things we know to be true!

forgetmenot said...

Jackie, Just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas--a joyous celebration of the birth of Christ. Mickie :)

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm so glad you liked the Mac and cheese. Come back soon!

Bunny said...

Your blog and you are an awesome testimony. I pray God does wondrous things thru you and your blog.

forgetmenot said...

The last line is what we should all try to live by. Thanks for the encouragement. Mickie :)

forgetmenot said...

Just wanted to wish you a blessed and happy Easter. Mickie :)