I certainly don't have it all figured out nor will I ever but, this I do know...I have an indescibable hope and joy in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Sometimes I feel like it's all bottled up inside, so this is one way that I can pop the cork and share my faith with you.





Monday, September 8, 2008

Holy Exercise

If only I had the discipline to be close to God ALL the time.... It's Something that I struggle with as a a christian. I Long to be near God everyday...every hour. I know He's there but I don't always acknowledge His presence. Recently I was encouraged by a short book of letters written by a man known as Brother Lawrence, "The practice of the presence of God".
Brother Lawrence developed a unique gift of being able to pray to God throughout the entire day. ( I have concluded that Brother L. had to be single, no kids or commitments other than his job as a kitcher helper) BUT.... I still believe I can put some of his ideas into practice which can help me to be nearer to God , for this is my greatest desire!!!

  • Brother Lawrence's obligation is to Love God in ALL things.

  • "God does not regard the greatness of the work, but only the love with which it is performed".

  • "When we are faithful to keep ourselves in His holy presence and when we set Him always before us, it keeps us from offending Him. It guards us from doing anything that may displease Him, at least willfully".

  • "Think of God as much as I can, at first it might be less but by practicing, it will get more and more natural. Brother L calls this a HOLY EXERCISE"

  • "To continually be in the presence of God requires effort and practice. NOT TO ADVANCE IN THE SPIRITUAL LIFE, IS TO GO BACK; but those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit behind them make progress even in their sleep"

0 comments: